On his blog Paul Melcher says that the photo industry never has been so healthy.
In the past we never have had stock photo agencies with a turnover of $800 million a year.
In these days photo agencies are sold and bought for $200 million or more. There is a lot of money in the photo industry and that is true.
We could say that 60% of the photo business is in the hands of three companies and that the intention of Gary Shenk of Corbis to fire 160 employees is not a sign of healthiness.
Also, when Getty Images is in trouble, this agency doesn´t think twice about firing people.
20 years ago my agency was doing really great and once when I was in Paris I visited Magnum Photos, trying to represent them in Italy. At that time a man named James A. Fox was the Editor-in-Chief of the best photo agency ever. He was nice and polite but at the end of our conversation he told me: "We are not butchers".
This is a proposition that everybody in the industry used to repeat with pride. A lot of pride.
Now I have a lot of respect for Paul Melcher and I hope that in the future we´ll do something together, but in spite of all the money that undoubtedly is in the photo industry, I see little content.
When I look into the magazines, I don´t see great pictures. I don´t hear either of great new shooters. The best pictures I have seen lately are the pictures shot 20 years ago in Iran, the ones of the execution.
Maybe I´m an european socialist dreamer as my friend Chris Ferrone once told me, but I care very little about the millions of dollars of others. I care instead about seeing great pictures.
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata´s It's time to react (June 30, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata on SnapVillage by Corbis (June 26, 2007)
- Pino Granata: CEPIC - Time for a Change (June 21, 2007)
- Letters from Italy with Pino Granata´s Ceterum censeo: The Stars Look Down (Feb. 23, 2007)
- Letters from Italy: Pino Granata´s Ceterum censeo on Corbis entering the Microstock Business (Feb. 18, 2007)
- Pino Granata: Who is the Dinosaur? (Feb. 06, 2007)
- Sipa Press Founder Goksin Sipahioglu Receives Premier French Order Légion d'honneur - A Comment By Pino Granata (Jan. 26, 2007)
- Pino Granata: Two Worlds Apart (Jan. 10, 2007)
- Picade, The New Photographer-Driven Stock Photo Agency: Forget RF Licensing, Photo Portals and Microstock (Nov. 28, 2006)
- A New Photographic Renaissance, by Pino Granata (Oct. 31, 2006)
- "Just fly in a different direction" (Oct. 10, 2006)
- The Bill Gates Mystery: An Open Letter From Pino Granata To The Founder Of Corbis (Oct. 03, 2006)
- "Is There A Future For Stock Agents?" (Sept. 20, 2006, by Jim Pickerell, Story 873, subscription required).
- Pino Granata: "Is there any future for photographers and agents?" (Sept. 16, 2006)
- Jason Pagan Launches Alternative Photojournalism Agency Anarchy Images (July 18, 2006)