Barack Obama and John McCain have Joe the plumber from Ohio. We have, let´s call him, John Smith, a friend of mine who used to live between New York City and Los Angeles.
I saw him again after a few years in LA during my last trip. He told me: I have to reinvent my life which wasn´t bad.
Until a few years ago, shooting stock, I used to make a couple of thousands with one of the big three and another couple of thousands with an english photo agency.
I also used to have assignments for 3 or 4 thousands and my life wasn´t that bad.
Now , when I´m lucky I make 200 hundreds bucks with the american agency and the same amount of money with the english agency.
Assignments? When I´m lucky I get one a month.
I´m 53, he continues, and I´m seriously thinking to go back to university.
What I´ve heard from "John Smith", it´s the same I´ve heard from a lot of photographers around the world.
It´s useless to try to hide the reality and the problems with agencies like PhotoShelter, Digital Railroad and others. The situation is dramatic and it was like that even before the recession which is now plaguing the world.
Pino Granata is the founder of Italy-based Granata Images. Granata Images is now run by his sons and Pino works as an editorial and stock photo consultant. He is been working in this industry since 45 years.
- Pino Granata: The Death of William Claxton (Oct. 14, 2008)
- Pino Granata: We have reached the bottom (Sept. 15, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Photography is dead (June 24, 2008)
- Pino Granata: About The New Corbis Museum (June 18, 2008)
- BAPLA Fair: A Happy Island (May 27, 2008)
- New York Photo Festival: Much Ado About Nothing (May 22, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Let´s try to do the right things (March 01, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Yahoo, Corbis, Flickr and Bill Gates (Feb. 03, 2008)
- Pino Granata: What´s next? (Jan. 30, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Publicists, vile damned race! (Jan. 15, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Much Ado About Nothing (Jan. 08, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Who's afraid of Getty Images and company? (Dec. 12, 2007)
- Pino Granata: Hollywood, I'm shocked! (Nov. 15, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata´s THE PHOTO MARKET IS SICK (Nov. 01, 2007)
- Potere Fotografico: The Power of Photography (Oct. 24, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata´s NOTHING TO CELEBRATE (Oct. 18, 2007)
- Pino Granata: The Rise and Fall of Getty Images (Aug. 06, 2007)
- Pino Granta: Everybody wins but not the photographers (July 23, 2007)
- Pino Granata: I´m so sad for Alexandra Boulat (July 23, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata´s We are not butchers (July 04, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata´s It's time to react (June 30, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata on SnapVillage by Corbis (June 26, 2007)
- Pino Granata: CEPIC - Time for a Change (June 21, 2007)
- Letters from Italy with Pino Granata´s Ceterum censeo: The Stars Look Down (Feb. 23, 2007)
- Letters from Italy: Pino Granata´s Ceterum censeo on Corbis entering the Microstock Business (Feb. 18, 2007)
- Pino Granata: Who is the Dinosaur? (Feb. 06, 2007)
- Sipa Press Founder Goksin Sipahioglu Receives Premier French Order Légion d'honneur - A Comment By Pino Granata (Jan. 26, 2007)
- Pino Granata: Two Worlds Apart (Jan. 10, 2007)
- Picade, The New Photographer-Driven Stock Photo Agency: Forget RF Licensing, Photo Portals and Microstock (Nov. 28, 2006)
- A New Photographic Renaissance, by Pino Granata (Oct. 31, 2006)
- "Just fly in a different direction" (Oct. 10, 2006)
- The Bill Gates Mystery: An Open Letter From Pino Granata To The Founder Of Corbis (Oct. 03, 2006)
- "Is There A Future For Stock Agents?" (Sept. 20, 2006, by Jim Pickerell, Story 873, subscription required).
- Pino Granata: "Is there any future for photographers and agents?" (Sept. 16, 2006)
- Jason Pagan Launches Alternative Photojournalism Agency Anarchy Images (July 18, 2006)