There are very deep changes in the industry and all are very bad.
Alan Meckler has sold Jupiterimages to Getty Images and we can imagine why he sold. If I remember well he bought PictureArts for $65 millions and he made other acquisitions that somebody says have cost around $170 millions dollars including PictureArts so I realize that in selling Jupiterimages for $96 millions Alan Meckler and his shareholders have lost some money.
Maybe it was a good choice and by selling he has saved his company from bankruptcy which is a bad thing.
Slowly but safely Getty Images is going to have the monopoly of the industry which is not good news for us. Now I hear the news from Corbis.
They want photographers to pay for mistakes that have been done by the newcomers of the business which have reduced the industry the way it is.
If Bill Gates can´t figure out another way to do business in our industry that is not reducing the royalties for photographers or firing innocent employees, it´s better for him to leave this business. I´m very disappointed from what he has done until now and I guess othe people in the industry are very disappointed too.
Now we read that Digital Railroad has shut down its operation. This is very bad because many good photo agencies were connected to this company to distribute their pictures on the web and for sure they will be penalized. Another setback for the industry.
Somebody claims the the industry will be still for the next four years and I guess this is because the prices are too low and with prices like the ones we have in this days there won´t be a way for the industry to grow.
I hope that now people will realize that the photo industry is not a Mecca and they will leave the photography industry to photographers.
Pino Granata is the founder of Italy-based Granata Images. Granata Images is now run by his sons and Pino works as an editorial and stock photo consultant. He is been working in this industry since 45 years.
- Pino Granata: The Stock photo market crash (Oct. 19, 2008)
- Pino Granata: The Death of William Claxton (Oct. 14, 2008)
- Pino Granata: We have reached the bottom (Sept. 15, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Photography is dead (June 24, 2008)
- Pino Granata: About The New Corbis Museum (June 18, 2008)
- BAPLA Fair: A Happy Island (May 27, 2008)
- New York Photo Festival: Much Ado About Nothing (May 22, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Let´s try to do the right things (March 01, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Yahoo, Corbis, Flickr and Bill Gates (Feb. 03, 2008)
- Pino Granata: What´s next? (Jan. 30, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Publicists, vile damned race! (Jan. 15, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Much Ado About Nothing (Jan. 08, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Who's afraid of Getty Images and company? (Dec. 12, 2007)
- Pino Granata: Hollywood, I'm shocked! (Nov. 15, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata´s THE PHOTO MARKET IS SICK (Nov. 01, 2007)
- Potere Fotografico: The Power of Photography (Oct. 24, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata´s NOTHING TO CELEBRATE (Oct. 18, 2007)
- Pino Granata: The Rise and Fall of Getty Images (Aug. 06, 2007)
- Pino Granta: Everybody wins but not the photographers (July 23, 2007)
- Pino Granata: I´m so sad for Alexandra Boulat (July 23, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata´s We are not butchers (July 04, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata´s It's time to react (June 30, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata on SnapVillage by Corbis (June 26, 2007)
- Pino Granata: CEPIC - Time for a Change (June 21, 2007)
- Letters from Italy with Pino Granata´s Ceterum censeo: The Stars Look Down (Feb. 23, 2007)
- Letters from Italy: Pino Granata´s Ceterum censeo on Corbis entering the Microstock Business (Feb. 18, 2007)
- Pino Granata: Who is the Dinosaur? (Feb. 06, 2007)
- Sipa Press Founder Goksin Sipahioglu Receives Premier French Order Légion d'honneur - A Comment By Pino Granata (Jan. 26, 2007)
- Pino Granata: Two Worlds Apart (Jan. 10, 2007)
- Picade, The New Photographer-Driven Stock Photo Agency: Forget RF Licensing, Photo Portals and Microstock (Nov. 28, 2006)
- A New Photographic Renaissance, by Pino Granata (Oct. 31, 2006)
- "Just fly in a different direction" (Oct. 10, 2006)
- The Bill Gates Mystery: An Open Letter From Pino Granata To The Founder Of Corbis (Oct. 03, 2006)
- "Is There A Future For Stock Agents?" (Sept. 20, 2006, by Jim Pickerell, Story 873, subscription required).
- Pino Granata: "Is there any future for photographers and agents?" (Sept. 16, 2006)
- Jason Pagan Launches Alternative Photojournalism Agency Anarchy Images (July 18, 2006)