There are a few things that make me think that Photography the way we have known it doesn´t exist anymore.
It doesn´t exist anymore a culture of photography and editors consider pictures something they can´t do without but that doesn´t deserve much attention.
With a few exceptions the pictures published in the papers today have little to do with the text that should be illustrated.
A lot of people blame the large offer of images we have today. Only on Flickr there are 3 billion pictures and it´s better not to make fools of ourselves and say a good share of them are not garbage and also they are almost free.
There is also the policy of the big agencies which is responsible in a way that now it is possible to buy pictures for a few cents.
All these things and others have taken us to a point which makes the photographers job almost impossible and to a position that very few shooters can make a living out of photography.
This is the state of art today.
If things will go on like this it´s not difficult to predict that the job of a photographer in a few years won´t exist anymore and - maybe - is already dead.
It is possible to say that photojournalists and stock photographers are leaving their profession. Somebody wonders if it is possible to stop this process that seems irreversible. Difficult to say.
But if we would stop to pretend that nothing has happened in the world of photography and we would start to discuss what needs to be done to change this trend, maybe then something could be done. But the truth is that like the ostrichs we hide our head in the sand - just not to see things. And the situation gets worse day after day.
Pino Granata is the founder of Italy-based Granata Images. Granata Images is now run by his sons and Pino works as an editorial and stock photo consultant. He is been working in this industry since 46 years.
- Pino Granata: Desperate Stockphoto Dealers (Feb.03, 2009)
- Pino Granata: For Photography Big Is Bad (Nov. 22, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum (Oct. 31, 2008)
- Pino Granata: The Stock photo market crash (Oct. 19, 2008)
- Pino Granata: The Death of William Claxton (Oct. 14, 2008)
- Pino Granata: We have reached the bottom (Sept. 15, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Photography is dead (June 24, 2008)
- Pino Granata: About The New Corbis Museum (June 18, 2008)
- BAPLA Fair: A Happy Island (May 27, 2008)
- New York Photo Festival: Much Ado About Nothing (May 22, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Let´s try to do the right things (March 01, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Yahoo, Corbis, Flickr and Bill Gates (Feb. 03, 2008)
- Pino Granata: What´s next? (Jan. 30, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Publicists, vile damned race! (Jan. 15, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Much Ado About Nothing (Jan. 08, 2008)
- Pino Granata: Who's afraid of Getty Images and company? (Dec. 12, 2007)
- Pino Granata: Hollywood, I'm shocked! (Nov. 15, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata´s THE PHOTO MARKET IS SICK (Nov. 01, 2007)
- Potere Fotografico: The Power of Photography (Oct. 24, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata´s NOTHING TO CELEBRATE (Oct. 18, 2007)
- Pino Granata: The Rise and Fall of Getty Images (Aug. 06, 2007)
- Pino Granta: Everybody wins but not the photographers (July 23, 2007)
- Pino Granata: I´m so sad for Alexandra Boulat (July 23, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata´s We are not butchers (July 04, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata´s It's time to react (June 30, 2007)
- Ceterum Censeo: Pino Granata on SnapVillage by Corbis (June 26, 2007)
- Pino Granata: CEPIC - Time for a Change (June 21, 2007)
- Letters from Italy with Pino Granata´s Ceterum censeo: The Stars Look Down (Feb. 23, 2007)
- Letters from Italy: Pino Granata´s Ceterum censeo on Corbis entering the Microstock Business (Feb. 18, 2007)
- Pino Granata: Who is the Dinosaur? (Feb. 06, 2007)
- Sipa Press Founder Goksin Sipahioglu Receives Premier French Order Légion d'honneur - A Comment By Pino Granata (Jan. 26, 2007)
- Pino Granata: Two Worlds Apart (Jan. 10, 2007)
- Picade, The New Photographer-Driven Stock Photo Agency: Forget RF Licensing, Photo Portals and Microstock (Nov. 28, 2006)
- A New Photographic Renaissance, by Pino Granata (Oct. 31, 2006)
- "Just fly in a different direction" (Oct. 10, 2006)
- The Bill Gates Mystery: An Open Letter From Pino Granata To The Founder Of Corbis (Oct. 03, 2006)
- "Is There A Future For Stock Agents?" (Sept. 20, 2006, by Jim Pickerell, Story 873, subscription required).
- Pino Granata: "Is there any future for photographers and agents?" (Sept. 16, 2006)
- Jason Pagan Launches Alternative Photojournalism Agency Anarchy Images (July 18, 2006)